The Citadel in Copenhagen was founded by Danish King Christian 4 in 1626. You will find it on the border of inner Copenhagen and the area of Østerbro.
The Citadel was first established as a Garrison by King Christian IV in 1626 – to protect Copenhagen from the Seaside. The fortress is Europe’s oldest military bastion and still in operation. This military complex was completed in 1660s – and was also a part of Copenhagen’s rampart. The Fortress Park is a typical renaissance fortification with five bastions that served as a defence installation until the mid 19th century. Most of the buildings in the old Citadel are still intact from the period of King Frederik III – and are the head quarters of the Danish Defence Intelligence.
King Christian IV had also planned to build a castle on the Citadel premises but the project was suspended due to the Kings financial situation – and construction of the Citadel was continued by his son and successor King Frederik III – with help by the Dutch architect and engineer Henrik Rüse. After the Swedish attack – and assault of Copenhagen 1658-1660 – the Bastions of the Citadel was rebuilt to better resist bombardments – mortars and other artillery. Last the Citadel of Copenhagen was in use was during the heavy battle of the city against the Royal British Fleet in 1807.
Several new images in the “Park” category has been added to the webshop.
Here are some of the newly added images.