The Hermitage Palace
In 1694, Christian V built a two-story timber frame house in the Deer Park north of Copenhagen. In 1734, that building was demolished, and in the period 1734-36, royal architect Lauritz de Thurah built the existing hunting seat on the hilltop in the middle of the plain.
The palace is an distinguished example of de Thurah’s architectural skills and one of the late Baroque’s best works in Denmark. The ground-plan of the palace is symmetrical on all four floors.
The kitchen is located centrally in the basement under the dining room. Along the south gable, the beautiful staircase goes through the whole house. The stairwell is covered in tiles with hunting motifs. The tiles were produced at the factory on St. Kongensgade.
The palace has been renovated several times, most recently when the palace underwent a through restoration of its sandstone exterior from 1979 to 1991.
The Hermitage Palace has, through the years, been the centre for royal hunts.
Several new images in the “Palace” category has been added to the webshop.
Here are some of the newly added images.